Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) has shut all campuses and ordered the emergency evacuation of its student residences following an arson attack at its Bellville campus, bringing academic activity to an immediate halt.
The university announced on Tuesday, 18 August, that all campuses would remain closed until further notice after fire crews responded to the burning of the Old Education building at Bellville the previous evening.
No injuries were reported in the latest fire, but CPUT warned that escalating violence and attacks on university infrastructure had created a serious risk to students and staff.
Management said continued disruptions, including the torching of buildings and damage to university property, had left it with no option but to close its campuses and evacuate residences.
“All academic activities will cease with immediate effect,” the university said, with most staff instructed to work from home.
Essential and selected support staff will continue limited on-campus operations where required.
Students living in university residences were ordered to vacate by 4pm on Wednesday, 19 August.
CPUT said the evacuation was necessary to de-escalate tensions and protect lives, describing the safety of the university community as its highest priority.
The shutdown follows around two weeks of student protests and disruptions over financial grievances, accommodation and CPUT’s proposed 2027 Financial Recovery Plan.
The plan was intended to recover part of the university’s approximately R4.2 billion in outstanding student debt.
Under the draft proposals, affected self-funded students would have faced upfront payments of up to R7,000, comprising R3,500 towards academic registration and a further R3,500 for those entering university residences.
The plan also proposed ending the existing acknowledgement-of-debt arrangement, which allowed some students with outstanding balances to register while agreeing to repay their debt over time.
Students opposed the proposals alongside a wider set of grievances, including withheld transcripts and certificates, accommodation costs above the NSFAS cap and conditions in residences.
CPUT Council withdrew the draft Financial Recovery Plan on 12 August to allow for further consultation, but protests and disruptions continued.
Students subsequently submitted another memorandum of demands to university management following a mass meeting organised by the Central Student Representative Council.
The protests involved several student formations, including the Pan-Africanist Student Movement of Azania, the Economic Freedom Fighters Students’ Command and the uMkhonto weSizwe Student Movement.
Earlier unrest had already resulted in damage to university property, including the burning of a security vehicle and other incidents across CPUT campuses.
On 18 August, around 500 CPUT students also marched to Parliament as the dispute continued.
Management said it remains focused on finding a way to complete the academic year and appealed for cooperation from students and staff as efforts continue to restore stability.


