A warning notice issued by the Durban Metropolitan Police Service (DMPS) to a mosque in Mobeni Heights over the adhaan, or Islamic call to prayer, has sparked concern within the local community after officers reportedly apologised and withdrew from the matter.
The notice, dated 15 July 2026, was issued to the mosque in relation to the adhaan, prompting questions from residents and community leaders about the circumstances surrounding the action and whether it had been properly authorised.
In an update issued on Thursday, Mobeni Heights Civic Association chairperson Denzil Davan said Metro Police officers had returned to the mosque and apologised to its leadership following intervention by the civic association and the Mobeni Heights Safety Forum, together with the offices of the City Manager and Mayor.
“Metro officers returned today to apologise to the leadership of the musjid following the intervention of the Mobeni Heights Civic Association and Mobeni Heights Safety Forum, together with the City Manager’s and Mayor’s offices, regarding this outrageous incident,” Davan said.
He further claimed that the officers “were not authorised to issue the document”, adding that no complainant had been identified.
The reported apology has raised further questions about why the notice was issued, who authorised it and whether the correct procedures were followed.
The incident has also drawn wider attention amid recent law enforcement operations involving mosques in other parts of South Africa, including an immigration enforcement operation near a mosque in Pietermaritzburg and arrests made during an operation at a mosque in Greenside, Johannesburg.
Although there is no evidence that the incidents are connected, they have heightened concerns among some members of the Muslim community about what they perceive as growing scrutiny of mosques and Muslim institutions.
One Nation Media approached the Durban Metropolitan Police Service for comment and requested clarity on whether the warning notice had been officially authorised, which municipal by-law it was based on, whether it followed a complaint from a resident, whether similar notices had been issued to other places of worship, and why officers reportedly apologised and indicated that they were not authorised to issue it.
At the time of publication, DMPS had not responded to the questions.
The incident has renewed calls for greater transparency in the enforcement of municipal by-laws affecting places of worship, as well as meaningful engagement with religious communities before action is taken that could unnecessarily inflame religious sensitivities.
Update: Speaking to One Nation Media (ONM), the mosque’s muazzin, Sheikh Muazzin Haseem, provided further details about the incident. He said a Metro Police officer arrived at the mosque at around 12:30pm on 15 July, asked him to open the door and addressed him by name. According to Haseem, the officer said complaints had been received that the azaan was “too loud” and warned that if the volume was not lowered, the matter would be taken to court. Haseem said the officer then presented him with documents to sign and requested his identity document. He declined to hand over his ID card but instead provided his ID number.
Haseem further told ONM that the officer said the complaint had been submitted via email and alleged that it came from a Hindu resident, who had reportedly told the officer that “the foreigner will get frightened”. According to Haseem, the officer left the warning notice with him before departing. He said congregants who witnessed the incident urged him to open a case against the officer, although he initially declined to do so. The reported apology from Metro Police followed shortly afterwards after intervention by community structures.


