The International Criminal Court (ICC)’s chief prosecutor requested sealed arrest warrants for “an unspecified number of Israeli officials”, Israeli newspaper Haaretz said on Sunday, citing an unnamed diplomatic source.
The warrants would be centred on three Israeli army officials and two politicians, the source stated, adding that the timing of the request remains unknown.
The development comes after a Wall Street Journal said in May 2025 that prosecutors considered pursuing cases involving Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.
It also adds to previously issued arrest warrants by the Hague-based court in November 2024 against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Israeli Defence Minister Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza. US sanctions were placed on ICC officials in the wake of the warrants being issued.
There has been no immediate statement from the ICC regarding the report.
The Israeli army has killed more than 72 000 people, mostly women and children, and injured over 172 000 in a two-year war on the Gaza Strip since October 2023.
The army continues its attacks despite a ceasefire that took effect on October 10, 2025, killing over 870 people and injuring more than 2,540 others, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. – AA


