Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has come under mounting international criticism after releasing footage showing Global Sumud Flotilla detainees kneeling with their hands zip-tied following Israel’s interception of the civilian aid mission in international waters en route to Gaza.
The footage triggered diplomatic backlash from several countries after activists from around the world, including six South Africans, were detained during the operation.
Those held included former South African ambassador to Qatar Faizel Moosa, Moghamed Faeek Ariefdien, Hajar Kagiso Mathee, Qutb Hendricks, Sheikh Ebrahim Peters and Yusuf Rahman.
The detainees were part of a civilian-led humanitarian mission carrying international activists seeking to challenge Israel’s blockade on Gaza and deliver aid to a population facing catastrophic conditions after months of war, siege and destruction.
Poland reportedly summoned Israel’s ambassador following the detention of Polish nationals aboard the flotilla, while the country’s foreign minister, Radosław Sikorski, demanded the immediate release of detained citizens and a formal apology. He also strongly criticised footage showing activists zip-tied and forced to kneel.
Several European officials also raised concerns over the treatment of detainees and Israel’s interception of civilian vessels in international waters.
Legal rights organisation Adalah said all detained Global Sumud Flotilla and Freedom Flotilla Coalition activists had since been released from Ktziot detention facility ahead of deportation proceedings.
However, the organisation accused Israeli authorities of subjecting detainees to humiliation, arbitrary detention and violations of international law following their interception at sea. Adalah said its legal teams had monitored the transfer process to ensure detainees were deported safely and without further delay.
Before departure, South African delegate Sheikh Ebrahim Peters referenced the Islamic injunction concerning the sanctity of Masjid Al-Aqsa and its surrounding areas, describing the mission as one rooted in moral and religious responsibility towards the people of Palestine.
Faizel Moosa’s wife, Anikha Moosa, told One Nation Media on Wednesday that concern had been growing over the condition of detainees amid limited communication following their detention. She also confirmed that Moosa had thrown his phone into the Mediterranean Sea before the interception.
The South African government condemned the detention of its citizens and called for their immediate release, warning that the seizure of civilian activists in international waters raises serious concerns under international law.
The South African delegates are expected to return home on Saturday, 23 May 2026.
The incident has once again exposed the widening gap between global public solidarity with Gaza and the lack of any meaningful response from Muslim-majority governments, whose actions have largely remained confined to diplomatic condemnation and symbolic statements.


