Morocco detains more than 100 migrants attempting to cross into Spanish-controlled Ceuta

Editors Pick

Moroccan authorities have intercepted more than 100 migrants attempting to cross into the Spanish-controlled North African enclave of Ceuta, as security was tightened along the border following a recent mass arrival.

Security sources said 111 people were detained in and around the northern Moroccan town of Fnideq, around three kilometres from the Ceuta border, with most of those intercepted reportedly coming from sub-Saharan Africa.

Moroccan police, including riot units, were deployed across the area and reportedly used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants who had gathered on hills near the border.

The operation came around two weeks after approximately 78,000 migrants reportedly reached Ceuta by sea within a matter of hours, an unprecedented influx that left around 100 people dead, according to local authorities.

Both Morocco and Spain subsequently reinforced security around the enclave amid calls circulating on social media for another large-scale crossing attempt.

Moroccan authorities said they had been monitoring online messages of unknown origin encouraging people to gather for a mass crossing and warned that organisers and participants could face prosecution.

Security measures around the border were significantly strengthened ahead of Saturday’s attempted crossing.

Morocco deployed additional army personnel, naval patrol boats and drones, while new physical barriers were installed near the breakwater used by migrants attempting to enter Ceuta.

Spain also deployed more than 1,500 security personnel to patrol the enclave and surrounding border areas.

Ceuta, along with the nearby enclave of Melilla, is controlled by Spain but located on Morocco’s Mediterranean coast, making the territories major entry points for migrants attempting to reach European-controlled territory from Africa.

The recent migration surge has also caused political tensions within Europe, with several governments raising concerns over onward movement by migrants entering through Spain.

Italy suspended its Schengen arrangements with Spain, a move supported by Finland and Denmark, while the Czech Republic called for Spain’s participation in the border-free travel zone to be temporarily suspended.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has pushed back against such criticism, noting that Ceuta itself does not form part of the Schengen Area.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article